Read what the reviewers and bloggers say about Beyond the Ghetto Gates:
- “A gripping peek into a bygone Italy and an astute look at the era’s prejudice.” — Kirkus Review
- “Cameron has made excellent use of the genre of historical fiction – effortlessly teaching about a little-known chapter of 18th-century history, while confronting the issues of her 21st-century readers. ” – Jerusalem Post
- “Beyond the Ghetto Gates is a timeless coming-of-age story.” — 4 star Foreword Clarion Review”
- “Beyond the Ghetto Gates…is a beautiful and heartbreaking story of love and loss, freedom and pain.” — 5 star review Readers’ Favorite.
- “Exploring the pull of assimilation, preserving religious tradition, and women’s empowerment, Cameron offers an evocative exploration of individuality, tradition, prejudices, and a rapidly-changing world — both in the past and present.” – The Jewish Journal, as part of its roundup of “25 Inspiring Books Worth Adding to Your COVID-19 Summer Reading List.”
- “In her new historical novel Beyond the Ghetto Gates, author Michelle Cameron fashions a story that is both timeless and deeply rooted in the social, political, and religious mores of its time.” – Jewish Book Council
- “Beyond the Ghetto Gates is a solidly told story combining intercultural conflict, religious violence, and a thread of unpredictable romance” – Sarah Johnson, Reading the Past.
- “This is historical fiction that is memorable and life-changing!” – Crystal Book Reviews.
- “Beyond the Ghetto Gates is an amazing story of courage, hope and doing what’s right. ” – 100 Pages A Day…. Stephanie’s Book Reviews.
- “This book was a goldmine of richness. ” – The Lit Bitch.
- “Cameron’s novel dwells on religious fervor, fanaticism, prejudice and that elusive disparity between religions.” – Historical Novel Society
- “Rich in historic detail and well-drawn characters, this compelling novel breathes life into the conflicts of the times: women’s place in society, religious intolerance, and the expectations of one’s community. ” – Sharon Gloger Friedman
- “This is a gripping read that is impossible to put down, weaving a story of beauty, heartbreak, romance, and familial bonds that link generations together.” – Nikki Lyssy, Sundress Reads